Accomplishments in Horizon
HIGHLIGHTS OF COMPLETED PROJECTS
Horizon processing plant is located in the small pristine village of Kehra, with lakes and rivers flowing for 40 km into the Baltic Sea. Surrounded by forests interspersed with rich patches of farmland, Horizon is an environmentally friendly neighbour.
Horizon has met or exceeded the benchmarks set by Estonian Ministry of the Environment, as well as those of all applicable EU regulations.
- 1997 - Instalment of a Return Effluent system to avoid discharge of high pH wastewater to the local river
- 1996 - Conversion of the old polluting Power Boilers from black oil to an efficient gas-fired system, which reduces the sulfur emission into the air
- 2001-2002 - Instalments of an additional Boiler powered by bark and wood waste products from the processing plant. This reduces solid waste disposal to a minimum
- 2001 - Instalment of a new Electrostatic Precipitator that reduces dust emission to a negligible level
- 2001 - Instalment of a new black liquor Concentrator instead of the old Cascade Evaporator, which emitted unpleasantly smelling gasses
- 2001 - Building a new state-of-the-art Recovery Boiler that dramatically improved air quality and reduced emissions
- 2008 - Instalment of sludge press for liquid waste disposal, opportunity to compost sewage sludge
- 2008 - Instalment of a Concentrated Noncondensible Gas Collection and Incineration System (CNCG System). This system is designed to collect, transfer and incinerate gases, such as hydrogen sulfide, methyl mercaptan, dimethyl sulfide and disulfide. These gases are burned into harmless and non-objectionable gases.
Horizon continues to create a happy and green home environment.